The idea of being exposed to asbestos in your own home can be very scary, especially if you don’t know anything about it. If you suspect asbestos exposure, you should familiarize yourself with asbestos so that you know what it is and how it might affect you. You should also have asbestos testing in San Francisco done to confirm whether or not asbestos is present in your home or business. Here are the answers to some common questions about asbestos.
What is asbestos?
Asbestos is a mineral that can be broken down into durable fibers that are then woven into larger fabrics and used to create many things. Traditionally, asbestos has been used in many building materials because it is fire- and heat-resistant and does not conduct electricity well.
What are some of the health risks associated with asbestos?
While asbestos is great for building, it is also a serious health hazard. If products that were made using asbestos are disturbed, asbestos fibers can be freed into the air and end up in your lungs. They can remain there for a long period of time and cause scarring, inflammation, breathing issues, and even cancer. Asbestos is a carcinogen recognized by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and can be extremely dangerous.
What are the symptoms of asbestos exposure?
If you believe you experienced asbestos exposure, there are a number of asbestos symptoms that you should look out for. For example, shortness of breath, blood coughed up from the lungs, tightening of the chest, sudden weight loss, swelling of the face, and fatigue are all signs of asbestos-related health issues and should be treated immediately.
What is the best way to remove asbestos?
Homeowners should never attempt to remove asbestos on their own. A home must be treated properly in order to remove asbestos without disturbing it. Without professional help, you could run the risk of disturbing the asbestos in your home and breathing it in, which could lead to very serious complications.