Breathing in elevated levels of mold and mildew can initiate an allergic or even toxic response in an otherwise healthy individual. In children, indoor mold exposure can trigger asthma attacks and even result in long-term respiratory problems. Preventing asthma attacks in children can be as easy as cleaning up mold and mildew in your home. This catchy tune from the Ad Council and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will tell you more about protecting your child from mold-related asthma problems.
A mold remediation company in San Francisco can protect you and your family from indoor mold exposure. In addition to mold removal, a thorough mold remediation involves eliminating the source of moisture that caused the mold problem in the first place. Call your San Francisco mold abatement professional to get started.
Lead is a heavy metal that was used for many residential and commercial purposes, the most notable being lead paint and lead varnishes. Lead-based paint was available to the general public until 1978, when it was banned for residential use due to the toxicity of lead. If you live in an older home or apartment building in San Francisco, contact a lead paint testing and removal company to protect yourself and your family from the harmful side effects of lead poisoning. To clear the air surrounding lead, here’s the truth behind some of the most common myths about lead poisoning.
Myth: Eating Paint Chips is the Only Way to Get Lead Poisoning
While eating paint chips or chewing on things that have lead paint are obvious ways a child can be poisoned by lead, he or she only has to breathe lead dust to become poisoned. Toys that have come into contact with lead dust can also poison a child when put in the mouth.
Myth: Low Levels of Lead are Harmless
The truth is that even very low levels of lead in a child’s blood can create long-term developmental problems. If your child’s doctor finds evidence of lead poisoning, contact a lead paint removal company in San Francisco to eliminate the risk of further contact with lead.
Myth: Lead Poisoning is Not a Problem Anymore
It’s true that lead-based paint is no longer available to the general public, but that doesn’t mean lead poisoning isn’t a very real problem. As lead-based paint gets older, it begins to peel and chip. Old lead-based paint also creates dust that can be inhaled and lead to lead poisoning in children and adults.
Myth: Only Children are at Risk from Lead Poisoning
Speaking of adults, children are not the only ones who are at risk for lead poisoning. It’s true that children are especially vulnerable to the toxicity of lead, but adult health can also be compromised by lead poisoning. For example, exposure among adults can result in reproductive complications. Even if you don’t have children in your home, contact a lead removal company if you suspect your home contains lead-based paint.
Although adults are also at risk of lead poisoning, children are most susceptible to lead poisoning. Child lead poisoning can occur quite easily when children crawl or play on contaminated surfaces and subsequently ingest or inhale lead dust. High levels of lead in a child’s blood can cause seizures, coma, and death. Even very low levels of lead can lead to learning disabilities, behavioral problems, malformed bones, and slow growth. Look for signs of irritability, sluggishness, fatigue, and learning difficulties in children. Loss of appetite, weight loss, abdominal pain, vomiting, and constipation are also signs of lead poisoning.
If you suspect that your home is subjecting yourself or your family to lead, contact a lead paint inspection company in San Francisco. If lead is discovered in your home, a professional lead removal company can safely remove the threat from your home. Lead inspection is particularly important if your home was built before 1978.
Outdoors, mold plays an important part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees. Indoors, however, mold growth serves no good purpose. Indoor mold is a big problem in San Francisco thanks to the moist air that blows in from the Pacific Ocean. The following guide will serve as an introduction to indoor mold, covering the most important topics including the signs and dangers of indoor mold and the importance of hiring a mold inspection and removal company in the Bay Area .
Signs of Mold
A mold problem can usually be seen or smelled. Mold growth often appears as slightly furry, discolored, or slimy patches that increase in size over time. Molds also produce a musty odor that may be the first sign of a mold problem inside your home or business. Also take note of any prolonged indoor allergies you are experiencing.
Health Effects of Mold Exposure
Speaking of allergies, nasal and sinus congestion are typically the first (and most common) symptoms of mold exposure. Eye irritation, throat irritation, and skin irritation are also commonly experienced in people exposed to mold indoors. While less common, there have been reported cases of serious infections and toxic effects as the result of mold exposure. Infants, young children, and the elderly are at an increased risk for experiencing more severe health effects related to mold exposure.
Testing for Indoor Mold
If you suspect that you have mold growing inside your home or business, contact a mold inspection company in San Francisco to make sure. A mold inspection expert will use air samples, tape lifts, and swab samples to positively identify indoor mold, determine all the species and levels of mold spores in the air, and determine the most appropriate mold removal solutions and procedures.
- San Francisco Mold & Asbestos Removal
- Indoor Air Pollution
- Mold Remediation
- Safe Air Fast
- Mold Inspection
- Bacteria Testing
- Asbestos Testing
- Lead Testing
- Sewer Line
- Lead Survey
- Mold Testing
- Air Quality Inspection
- Home renovations
- Renovation Contractor
- lead paint
- Air Quality
- Air Quality Test
- Mold removal