Understanding the Health Problems Associated with Black Mold

While certain molds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce mycotoxins, the molds themselves are not toxic or poisonous. However, that doesn’t mean that certain types of “toxic molds” can’t cause serious health problems. In fact, there are reports that Stachybotrys chartarum (black mold) causes memory loss in adults in acute pulmonary hemorrhaging among infants. The sooner you have your home or business tested for black mold , the sooner the mold will be removed, and the less likely you will be to suffer from the following health problems.

Respiratory Difficulties
People living in homes or working in businesses with toxic mold are exposed mainly through breathing in mold spores and mycotoxins in the air. Exposure to black mold can cause minor respiratory difficulties such as shortness of breath, wheezing, and coughing. Long-term exposure can lead to more serious difficulties, including pulmonary edema (swelling of the lungs) and pulmonary hemorrhage (bleeding in the lungs).

Black Mold San Francisco

Circulatory Difficulties
The mycotoxins produced by black mold can be breathed in, ingested, or absorbed through a person’s skin. After prolonged exposure, these mycotoxins find their way into the person’s bloodstream. The circulatory difficulties stemming from black mold exposure include irregular heartbeat, heart inflammation, internal bleeding, and blood clots. If your doctor has diagnosed any such circulatory problems, schedule a mold inspection today.

Mycotoxins also suppress the human body’s immune system, which is why many immunosuppressive drugs are created from toxic molds. If you suspect that your home or workplace has black mold and you more easily get infections or sickness, contact a mold remediation company in San Francisco to test your residence or building for mold.

Chronic Fatigue
Prolonged exposure to black mold may cause the immune system to release a sedative called Chloral Hydrate, which is used as a defense to slow down the effects of toxic black mold in the bloodstream. Chloral Hydrate also causes chronic fatigue, drowsiness, muscle pain, joint pain, and recurring cold or flu like symptoms. If you notice these signs, hire a mold removal company to inspect your home or business for mold and remove anything they find.